On March 29, Chief Kirk Sanfilippo of the San Diego Harbor Police
addressed the Marine Recreation Committee of the S.D. Port Tenants
Assn. and requested help in disseminating information on the need to
install Knox Boxes on all entrances to marinas, yacht clubs and boat
yards in the harbor area.
All impacted businesses are asked to
install these Knox Boxes within the next three months.
If you have any questions regarding this request, please contact
Senior Officer Don Bick at one of the following numbers:
Senior Officer Don Brick
Fire Training Coordinator
San Diego Harbor Police
3380 N. Harbor Drive
San Diego CA. 92101
Office: (619) 686-6538
Cellular: (619) 980-1422
- KNOX Company manufactures a system that is utilized nationwide
by Fire Departments and Police Departments to access businesses
that are closed via a small-keyed box that an Officer can open to
access a key to the business. These boxes are generally located
next to a locked door or gate. The key to the KNOX boxes are
retained by HPD Officers, and are used to access the marinas
during Police and Fire related calls for service.
- San Diego Fire Department has KNOX boxes on some marinas,
however SDFD is not willing to allow HPD access to their keys
because of liability issues.
- There are many types of Police and Fire related calls for
service that HPD responds to where Officers are left waiting
outside a locked marina gate. In these instances the Officer Must
have dispatch call a security guard, attempt to locate a marina
manager, or ask a tenant to grant them access to the marina.
KNOX Box information
- Model # 3201 Surface mounted box $189.00
- Model # 3220 Flush mounted box $229.00
- Measurements 4"x5"x3"
- Shipping (approximately) $17.00
- No key will be shipped with order. See HPD for issuing of key
- A KNOX box will be required for all locked gates. A KNOX box
will be required for both sides of the gate if locked in both
- Marina is responsible for installation of KNOX box
- Installation is requested within a 3 month period
- Order online at
- Call 1-800-552-5669
- Use zip code 92101 and San Diego Harbor Police when placing an
- An account is already set up for purchases
- Only approved KNOX boxes may be used